Sukitte Ii Na Yo (Review)



I'm seriously so lucky that so many movies got released with subs this week! First it was Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno, and now Sukitte Ii Na Yo's live action is out! It was actually out before Rurouni but I just found it on the website I frequent (bilibili). If you understand Chinese subs, you gotta use bilibili cuz it's just the bomb. They always have super fast releases and if you're waiting for a Japanese movie, they will for sure have it as soon as subs are available!


Anyhow, I watched Sukitte Ii Na Yo last night and it was pretty good. I have a few mixed feelings about it but I just gotta say wow at the cinematography. I'll go into a bit more of that later but be sure to expect a shitload of screencaps just of beautiful scenes.

*PS. I'm sorry if it takes a long time to load this page because I just needed to include 100 screencaps.

Synopsis


Taken from Asianwiki:
Mei Tachibana is a high school student. Due to a traumatic incident when she was a kid, Mei has been unable to make friends or have boyfriends. By mistake, Mei then injures the most popular male student named Yamato Kurosawa. Somehow, Yamato Kurosawa likes Mei Tachibana and tells everyone unilaterally that Mei is his friend. One day, Yamato Kurosawa saves Mei Tachibana from a stalker by kissing her. From that kiss, their love story begins.

Cast & Characters


Kawaguchi Haruna plays Mei Tachibana. Kawaguchi just looks perfect for this role. She is lacking a bit of the aggressiveness and bitterness that Mei had in the beginning though. The first kick was really the only time we got to see her aggressive side but Kawaguchi's acting in that scene felt a little flat for me. That scene, however, is the only scene where I felt a disappointed. She really played Mei well for the rest of the movie! Plus, when I was screencapping for this post, I couldn't help but take a bunch of screencaps of Mei because Kawaguchi is just too pretty! Her facial expressions were perfect and I could literally feel Mei's low self confidence radiating off of her.


Fukushi Sota plays Yamato Kurosawa. Sota is always nice to see but his acting can't seem to match his amazing smile. He's improved a lot since before and he plays a great Yamato! The way he looks at Mei is so cute and I also find it adoring how he cares so much for his friends!


Ichikawa Tomohiro plays Kai Takemura. Oh my gosh how have I not seen this actor before?!?! He is just toooooo cute! Even though I really didn't like his mohawk, I thought he looked so cute! Kai is actually the only side character with more of a back story and it was actually shown really well in the movie. I felt for him when he wanted to get revenge on his past bullies and admired him when he decided to take the high road and move on.


Adachi Rika plays Aiko Muto. Maaaan I see her almost everywhere now! It's a good thing though because I love how she has that super natural beauty that you can't really find nowadays. She was also in Kinkyori Renai~Season Zero and thats where I started to like her. I love her character Aiko as well for her matureness and no-nonsense attitude!


Nagase Tasuku plays Kenji Nakanishi. Do all the side characters have to be this cute? I really cannot take it!


Nishizaki Rima plays Asami Oikawa. Asami will always be one of my favourite characters! She's just so sweet and kind and I love how she doesn't let herself get mad at what other people say about her. Nishizaki Rima has the perfect soft features of Asami.


Yamamoto Ryosuke plays Masashi Tachikawa. For the second time, how have I not seen this actor before?!?! He's so cute! It's too bad he didn't have a lot of screentime though :(


Yagi Arisa plays Megumi Kitagawa. Any of you guys watched We Got Married Global? I thought Megumi looked so familiar when I was watching the movie and I only just found out it was Yagi Arisa who played her! Anyhow, I'm glad they didn't make Megumi that bitchy in this movie because there honestly wasn't enough time for her bitchiness lol.

Review & Thoughts 


I actually have mixed feelings about this movie despite all my excitedness. I kind of have this love-hate relationship with shoujo manga adaptations. I love them because no matter how much I love manga or anime, I still prefer watching real life humans as the characters. Everyone feels different about these kind of things but that's just what I prefer and I can't really explain why. I guess its because watching the movements and the surroundings just makes it feel so much more real and relatable. I'm not saying that manga or anime can't do this either because they can. There have been countless mangas and animes that have made me cuckoo in the head because of how emotionally invested I become in them. Also, I just simply like live action because I love to see different variations of a work and also speculate on the casting. In this case, I was super satisfied with the casting! Fukushi Sota and Kawaguchi Haruna are both actors that I love and the side characters are all played by fresh faces who show a lot of promise. There isn't one actor that I hate in this movie.

Now on the other hand, I kind of hate live action adaptations because it's just not possible to condense so much material from a manga into under two hours and make it good. Though there are exceptions like Rurouni Kenshin and Kimi Ni Todoke and more, they aren't the majority. Even if a short amount of the manga is being adapted, these movies often feel rushed. That was the case in this movie. I know how all the characters develop from reading the manga but I couldn't feel anything real from this movie (I know shoujo manga is never realistic but do realize there is a limit lol). Part of the reason is because everything went so fast that I really could not believe in Mei and Yamato's love for each other.

Buuuuut, since I am a very understanding viewer and fan, I'm going to overlook it because of how beautiful the movie was in general. Even though I had to plant a bunch of false memories in my head to believe in Mei and Yamato's love, I still got really good vibes from them separately! Pretty much all of the characters were fitting and had great chemistry with each other. The actors all stood out one way or another because I didn't find any of them boring! They were all extremely good looking, especially the actors who played Kai and Masashi. SWOON!!!!

Anyhow, the reason why I can't dislike this movie is very superficial. As usual I'm always superficial. The reason is the cinematography! I am seriously in love with this movie's colouring and I'm using a bunch of the screencaps as my wallpaper right now. I just so happened to download this movie in 1080p and it's making me have an eyegasm. All the beautiful sun flares make each shot like a piece of art!


KISS CAPS! LITERALLY SO MANY BUT TOO BAD THEY WERE KINDA BLAND IN VIDEO

Lastly, here are some of the kiss shots! They kissed SO MANY TIMES in this movie. I counted and there were 12 kisses in total! 12!!!!! Quantity is not always quality however. I get that the girl is supposed to be innocent and all but most of the kisses in this movie were just so lacking. Sigh..... the ending kiss was really sweet though!




No comments:

Post a Comment