Umi No Ue No Shinryoujo (Review)



HEY HEY HEY! I just finished Umi No Ue No Shinryoujo aka Clinic On The Sea and I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!! This was one of my favourite dramas of this season and the ending just made my whole winter break! The OTP HAPPENED. IT HAPPENED GUYS! Everyone was so scared Mako and Kota weren't going to get together but it did. I have quite a lot to scream say about this drama so here is a review!

Click here for the DramaWiki page and here for the AsianWiki page :) 

Click here to watch the drama at Gooddrama.net 

Synopsis
  • Sezaki Kota is a young doctor works on a boat clinic, Kaishinmaru, that plies the Seto Inland Sea islands. Kota is a very capable doctor, but he has one big flaw... he falls for women easily. He romances each island's madonna when they come to him seeking treatment. However, his efforts at romancing them seem to fail each time, and thus with tears streaming, he sets off for the next island, ever in search of a true love.

Cast & Characters



Matsuda Shota plays Sezaki Kota. Kota is very very weird, like all of Matsuda Shota's characters lol. As you can read from the plotline, he falls in love with women very easily and he is too naive. Matsuda Shota once again proves that he is perfect for eccentric roles like this one. I love love his new haircut in this drama. His hair in Sennyu Tantei Tokage was horrible and made me want to cry. With all the dramas he's been in, I think he looks the best in Love Shuffle and this drama! He's just so cute naturally and with great hair he can knock down any girls heart. He especially did a great job expressing Kota's quirkiness whenever he introduces himself to girls or when he talks to Mako.


Takei Emi plays Togami Mako. Takei Emi is my bias and I need everyone to know that. Despite how some people say she doesn't act well, she is still my ultimate bias :D I think she has improved greatly in this drama. I'm glad she played a delinquent nurse this time lol. Mako is such a strong female character, but I enjoyed seeing her soften up to Kota and eventually LOVING HIM. Emi looked great as Mako and I especially love her fashion during off work times on the ship.


Fukushi Sota as Misaki Noboru. I was only going to talk about Matsuda Shot and Takei Emi's characters but I felt the need to talk about Fukushi's. This is my first drama with him and I think I'm falling in love with him like everybody else right now. He has really gotten himself a lot of great roles this year! I think he looks great with glasses and did a good job in portraying Noboru. I'm also glad Noboru got an episode that kinda centred around himself. LOL the name Noboru will forever and always make me laugh for a reason I don't even know myself. I am definitely going to check out Sota's future works. In fact, I have his new movie, "Enoshima Prism," loaded up on my ttkvod player. It also stars Tsubasa Honda who I love so I can't wait to watch that later tonight.


Thoughts & Feelings




Okay, I have too many feelings for this drama. Everything was resolved in the finale and I must say that the writers did it in a spectacular way. The mystery behind the very first scene with Toda Erika was solved in a hilarious way. And the mystery behind Kota's mother was SO UNEXPECTED! I only started to realized what was happening in like the last episode. I'm not going to spoil what happened, but just know that this drama is totally ridiculous and pure comedy with a dash of romance.

I also love the running gags in this show. Like how he always has that white guitar he doesn't know how to play or how Kota always announces that he's going to leave the ship and how he always falls in love every episode. At first, I was a bit wary of the plot that he was going to fall in love with a new girl each episode but I think the writers executed that perfectly. I know Japanese dramas usually consist of an event each episode with a general mystery that doesn't get tackled until the very end. That's kinda what I love about Jdramas. Some people hate the episode to episode format but it's what makes Jdramas unique :)

I also have to comment on how this drama is technically a "medical drama." I kind of hate medical dramas and will only watch it if there are people I like. I watched Good Doctor because of Moon Chae Won and I stuck out with it despite it being so so so boring. So for this review, I MUST point out that Clinic On The Sea is NOT a typical medical drama. This is my first medical Jdrama but there was no overpiling of surgeries or medical elements; It was just right!

The colouring and setting of this drama was also something that moved my heart. All the beautiful shots of the islands and oceans made me want to instantly fly over to Japan and take in all that beauty! I love dramas that not only have great plots but also manage to incorporate beautiful scenery in them!

Clinic On The Sea will remain as one of my favourite dramas because of the way they presented each storyline and each character. I have to say that EVERY character was loveable <3


OST (Soundtrack)

The BGM is good, but there wasn't any instrumentals I loved. However, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the theme song. It's called "Taiyou No Megami" by an artist called Leo Ieiri. Its super super good and I fell in love with it as soon I heard it during the previews for Clinic On The Sea. Leo Ieiri has a killer voice and the chorus is amazing! Here's a preview because I couldn't find the full song on YouTube :)




OTP




NOW I MUST TALK ABOUT THE ROMANCE. Love Love Love. Y'all know Takei Emi and Matsuda Shota are my biases and I was so excited when I heard they were going to pair up together. From the very first episode, I could feel the chemistry between Mako and Kota. I was so excited for them to end up together but I knew I had to wait for the last episode lol.

When Toda Erika came, I was confused. Because Matsuda Shota and Toda Erika are also one of my OTP's and I rarely ship one person with two different people at once. My heart didn't know what to do! People who ship Shota and Erika might disagree with me, but I think their characters in THIS drama didn't match as well as in Liar Game. Thats an obvious given but I will continue to love both OTPs equally :D

Now back to the main OTP. DID YOU GUYS NOT LOVE THEIR EVERY INTERACTION?! I thought it was so cute how they always hang out at the deck and Kota always gives Mako something at the end of each episode. And when Kota took care of Mako when she had a fever, I died. Jdramas usually always deprive me of romance for my OTP's EVEN WHEN THEY PROMISE IT. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE (Hard Nuts, Liar Game, every jdrama in the world). But I must say I was completely satisfied with the ending of this drama. Should I spoil it for you guys? Okay official spoiler. You guys will never believed what happened. MAKO AND KOTA KISSED. Sorry I was gonna say it calmly but my fingers just vomited onto the keyboard. Can you believe it, though? In a Jdrama?! A kiss?! I was fine with just their confession but they KISSED. Gawd, I can't go on living anymore.

P.S. BEAUTIFUL SPOILERS OF THE LAST SCENE WILL BE AT THE END OF THIS POST!

Cutest Scenes







CUTE SCREENCAPS




SPOILER SCREENCAPS OF OTP

Okay, this is it. I warned you. Beware and have caution of what you are about to see because you will get hit by the rays of OTP awesomeness that is Mako and Kota.




GAH! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH SSSOOOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUUUTEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, this is a very great dorama. Every week I couldn't wait for Monday patiently, just wanted to watch the next episode.

    Well, about the mystery, I think there is one mystery that hasn't been revealed yet so far. About "Onomichi no Sherry". This is really interesting because even Mako's friends were frightened. But until now, I still can't understand about this one. And I think it wasn't explained clearly in this dorama, or maybe I just couldn't understand it. Do you have any idea about what the "Onomichi no Sherry" is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I remember that episode felt so incomplete, like I was waiting for them to reveal more of Mako's past! Since they didn't reveal anything, I guessed that "Onomichi no Sherry" is Mako's nickname when she was a delinquent in high school. I guess she fought really well. Thats what I guessed but then it doesn't really make sense because her friends got really scared lol.

      Thanks for reminding me of that unsolved mystery! There were quite a lot so I couldn't think of all of them lol :D

      Delete
    2. ow i love it to see mako and kota love each other.
      it is nice drama....
      i really really love emi takei and matsuda shota as a couple....

      Delete
  2. So his mother wasn't sick in the end? Please do spoil me ^u^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just watching this J-drama now, first few episodes it was watchable but pretty silly at times, but now with just the finale to watch, I've come to really enjoy this show. Agreed the theme song is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Leo-Ieiri---Taiyou-no-Megami/e50685641f4b9518541d8a92805ad3dc

    theme song

    ReplyDelete